FOSDEM 2019
Manolis Ragkousis
2018-08-21 13:33:53 UTC
Hello everyone,

It's that time of the year again we need to start organizing about
FOSDEM. We have a deadline for the 20th of September[1] to apply for a
devroom. We also need to start looking for a place for this year's
fringe event!

I created a libreplanet page[2] to start writing possible talk ideas in
case we get a devroom.

We also need to write a proposal for our devroom application. The last
year's proposal should be a good start. (attached) We should also talk
with the Lua people in case we can share a devroom with them.

Start sending ideas people!! This FOSDEM is going to be awesome!

Thank you,
Manolis

[1] https://fosdem.org/2019/news/2018-08-10-call-for-participation/
[2] https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2019
Ricardo Wurmus
2018-08-21 17:57:51 UTC
Hi Manolis,
Post by Manolis Ragkousis
We also need to write a proposal for our devroom application. The last
year's proposal should be a good start. (attached)
Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

If we base our application on this proposal I think we should make these
changes:

- mention the work on adding JIT

- mention “Chickadee” instead of “Sly” (Chickadee is a general purpose
game development toolkit that sees continued development, whereas Sly
is specifically for game development with functional reactive
programming)

- change “AO” to “libfive Studio” (the project has been renamed)

- add “R” to the list of languages for which Guix has great support

- “Guile make replacement”? Is this an actual thing?

- use HTTPS for http://bootstrappable.org

Obviously, the list of topics would need to change (that depends on the
proposals for talks) and references to “last year” would need to be
updated.

We should also figure out if there are enough people in the extended
Guile universe who would be willing to give a talk. If we don’t have
enough topics we might want to share the room with other communities
that have some links to us (e.g. other Lispy languages, or “small”
languages, etc).

Ricardo
Andy Wingo
2018-08-22 16:27:08 UTC
Post by Ricardo Wurmus
If we base our application on this proposal I think we should make these
- mention the work on adding JIT
Yes definitely! This will be Guile 3, so we can call it "Just-in-time
code generation for Scheme: Speed for free in Guile 3" or something.
I'd be happy to give this talk.

Andy
Mike Gran
2018-08-22 02:33:28 UTC
Post by Manolis Ragkousis
I created a libreplanet page[2] to start writing possible talk ideas in
case we get a devroom.
We also need to write a proposal for our devroom application. The last
year's proposal should be a good start. (attached) We should also talk
with the Lua people in case we can share a devroom with them.
Start sending ideas people!! This FOSDEM is going to be awesome!
Under the topic of encouraging newbies (and tangentially in the topic
of increasing diversity), I could do a talk about my experiments in
writing interactive fiction in Guile. I have had a goal of making
something as simple to use as the Twine interactive fiction engine. I
posted that on the wiki for now.

-Mike Gran
Mike Gran
2018-08-23 00:08:46 UTC
Post by Manolis Ragkousis
Hello everyone,
It's that time of the year again we need to start organizing about
FOSDEM. We have a deadline for the 20th of September[1] to apply for a
devroom. We also need to start looking for a place for this year's
fringe event!
Hi.

In your list, you mention "encouraging newbies" and "encouraging
diversity". In that category, I could do a talk on my experiments in
writing interactive fiction in Scheme. Interactive fiction tools like
Twine have been a first step for many young programmers, and tools
like Twine have been adopted by many young LGBT authors. If we could
make the syntax simple and obvious enough, maybe an interactive
fiction tool in Guile could be useful.

But the technical challenge of making a simple tool has been
surprisingly complicated in interesting ways.

I went ahead and threw that up on the libreplanet wiki for now

Regards,
Mike Gran
Pjotr Prins
2018-08-24 09:23:43 UTC
Who wants to come to a separate 2 day GNU Guix event?

That is the Thursday Jan 31st and/or Friday Feb 1st right before
FOSDEM. I.e., 4 days of hacker nirvana.

FOSDEM is really great. Look at last year's schedule for Saturday

https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/day/saturday/

Last year we had a 1 day event with about 25 people before FOSDEM.
See

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2018

If you intend to come and/or want to speak please add your name and
proposed title to the new page at

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2018

Alternatively, reply here or mail me privately so we can keep a tally.

Please do so because we need to find a venue again on a first come
first go basis if we run out of seats.

Pj.
fringe event!
alex sassmannshausen
fringe event!
Ludovic Courtès
2018-08-24 09:58:54 UTC
Hello!
Post by Pjotr Prins
If you intend to come and/or want to speak please add your name and
proposed title to the new page at
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2018
Alternatively, reply here or mail me privately so we can keep a tally.
The real URL is:

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2019#GNU_Guix_Days

I copied and adjusted the text from last year’s page.

Anyway, feel free to add your name if you would come, and ideas of talks
or hacking sessions we may have, so we can start planning!

Thanks,
Ludo’.
Jonathan Brielmaier
2018-08-24 10:10:06 UTC
Post by Pjotr Prins
Who wants to come to a separate 2 day GNU Guix event?
That is the Thursday Jan 31st and/or Friday Feb 1st right before
FOSDEM. I.e., 4 days of hacker nirvana.
FOSDEM is really great. Look at last year's schedule for Saturday
https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/day/saturday/
Last year we had a 1 day event with about 25 people before FOSDEM.
See
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2018
If you intend to come and/or want to speak please add your name and
proposed title to the new page at
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2018
The new link is apparently:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2019
Ricardo Wurmus
2018-08-24 09:42:48 UTC
Post by Pjotr Prins
Who wants to come to a separate 2 day GNU Guix event?
That is the Thursday Jan 31st and/or Friday Feb 1st right before
FOSDEM. I.e., 4 days of hacker nirvana.
I plan to be there for the 2 days of Guix and the 2 FOSDEM days.

Please also let us know (privately, if you prefer) if your attendance
would be dependent on having on-site childcare.

Ricardo
Efraim Flashner
2018-09-12 08:18:54 UTC
Post by Ricardo Wurmus
Post by Pjotr Prins
Who wants to come to a separate 2 day GNU Guix event?
That is the Thursday Jan 31st and/or Friday Feb 1st right before
FOSDEM. I.e., 4 days of hacker nirvana.
I plan to be there for the 2 days of Guix and the 2 FOSDEM days.
Please also let us know (privately, if you prefer) if your attendance
would be dependent on having on-site childcare.
I'm trying to convince my wife she should come for FOSDEM, not sure how
likely it's going to be.

Without checking with the wife, I should be good for at least one day of
GUIX hacking.
--
Efraim Flashner <***@flashner.co.il> א׀ךים ׀לשנך
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Leo Famulari
2018-10-21 22:42:48 UTC
Post by Pjotr Prins
If you intend to come and/or want to speak please add your name and
proposed title to the new page at
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2018
Alternatively, reply here or mail me privately so we can keep a tally.
I will be there!

Please add my name to the list :) I don't have an account on
LibrePlanet.
Leo Famulari
2018-10-22 04:07:57 UTC
as 2018 is already over, I suppose it was in your interest I added you
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/FOSDEM2019#Attendees
Haha, yes, I would like to be on the list for 2019. And for 2018, too,
but that may be out of your control ;)

Christopher Lemmer Webber
2018-08-24 12:23:44 UTC
Post by Manolis Ragkousis
Hello everyone,
It's that time of the year again we need to start organizing about
FOSDEM. We have a deadline for the 20th of September[1] to apply for a
devroom. We also need to start looking for a place for this year's
fringe event!
I created a libreplanet page[2] to start writing possible talk ideas in
case we get a devroom.
Thanks for everyone is doing organizing, especially Manolis for kicking
this off!

I added a talk topic: "A Guiler's Year of Racket". I think there's a
lot we could learn from our fellow friends in Racket-land, and I'd like
to share some of that!
Ludovic Courtès
2018-08-29 21:08:29 UTC
Heya,
Post by Christopher Lemmer Webber
I added a talk topic: "A Guiler's Year of Racket". I think there's a
lot we could learn from our fellow friends in Racket-land, and I'd like
to share some of that!
I’d be very interested in listening to it!

Ludo’.